Sunday, October 18, 2009

Awareness Ahad - Self-Awareness: Control

This is my first serie of Self-Awareness post. I believe so much in being self-aware. Thus, I would like to share my thoughts and my findings with you. So what is really self-awareness? Well, there's the word "self" that means our own mind body spirit.. and "awareness" means knowing, conscious, informed... By putting both words together, I would say being knowledgeable about our own state.

I believe that self-awareness in general is important, because it makes you know more about yourself so that you could benefit out of your own mind, body and soul. It is like knowing the land that you bought. Knowing the soil on that land can give you an idea of how you are going to nurture it and make it to produce or use for benefit. It is the same with your mind, body and soul. Sometimes it is scary to know yourself. Indeed, we are amazing creatures :D

As I mentioned, this is the first serie, which is self-control. There are other areas of self-awareness, namely stress, ambiguity and emotional intelligence.

When we mention "control" we always reflect on controlling someone or something. No.. In self-awareness, you get to know how you control yourself, how you approach control. Psychological field has introduced what it is called "the locus of control". Based on how you perceive things, you could know the way you act. Let's get some quotes. Quoted from James Neill

What is Locus of Control?
Within psychology, Locus of Control is considered to be an important aspect of personality. The concept was developed originally Julian Rotter in the 1950s (Rotter, 1966).

Locus of Control refers to an individual's perception about the underlying main causes of events in his/her life. Or, more simply:

Do you believe that your destiny is controlled by yourself or by external forces (such as fate, god, or powerful others)?




There is Locus of Control test which I would invite you to do. Spend some time to carefully answer all questions.
Try to google "locus of control test" and do some of them.

Here I would like to share my result. My Locus of control score is... 2.
Based on the locus control scale, I have an internal locus of control. I agree that most of the time I tend to take all tasks very seriously because I feel that everything depends on what I did and the decisions I made. In addition, I also learned that I am the kind of person who likes to take control and do what it takes to achieve the best outcome. I believe that consequences of certain tasks or activities are usually due to my actions or my decisions. I remember that each time during completing a task I would remind myself that I need to get things right and do it correctly because each step is crucial and may give impact later. I am now aware that I am a person who like to be pro-active, seeking as much information as possible, place great emphasize on doing things right first time and I will not easily think a success is due to luck or fate or if a failure it is caused by someone else’s fault. I learned that when I have been given a task, I am 100 percent responsible for its success or failure.

Do the test, and do a self-reflection on the result. This is just a guideline. Do not push the nothing of internal or external locus of control into yourself. The purpose of sharing this is so that you could nurture yourself to becoming a better person.

What is your locus of control? Have you tried to know yourself or you think you are better off with make-believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment