Saturday, November 7, 2009

S-Day - Sesame Street

HAPPY 40th ANNIVERSARY, SESAME STREET!!!!!!!!!!!

What? You don't know what Sesame Street is? Phhooeeyy!!

Well that is what I said to my husband.. then..

What? You don't know who Big Bird is? Oh gaawwddd!!

By this time I'm blinking back tears.. hahahaha
OK let's not be dramatic then.

However, as you can see there, today is Sesame Street's 40th Anniversary. Amazing isn't it? 40 years already! This show never dies I tell ya. Not for me at least. I was surprised however that some Google homepage celebrates the anniversary by putting the Sesame Street's characters on the Google name, but not Google.com. I know about it when my husband told me that "your muppet tv shows is 40 years old now" I said "what??" Then I go to google.fr, and I know what show he was talking about.

Appreciation:
I appreciate Sesame Street and the whole Children Television Workshop for bringing in this educational yet entertaining shows when I was growing up. Put aside Barney, Teletubbies, Dora, Diego and everything else kids got nowadays. Nothing beats Sesame Street! When I watched Sesame Street at my parents home in the afternoon, I was merely 6 years old (maybe younger),and how I wished that I was chosen to be one of those kids in the show. Even just for the opening credit. This show taught me how to count, count backward and count faster (remember the song 12345..678910..11 tweeeeellvee!!). It also taught me that people comes in different backgrounds, privileges, and talents. I remember even when I was teenager, I am a bit arrogant to keep watching Sesame Street just because it's for kids and 3-2-1 Contact is was cooler. Anyway, I kept going back to Sesame Street for the fun of it. How can educational show become fun?

Acknowledgement:
I acknowledge the effort of all characters in Sesame Street for bringing the fun out of learning. Big Bird, Grouch, Kermit the Frog, Ernie, Bert, Cookie Monster, Count Dracula (ah ah ah), Snufflelafegus, Elmo and of course my all time fav, Grover are full of fun and entertainment. The human characters are great too.. I can only recall of Maria tho.. LOL

Over time these characters go beyond Sesame Street and appearing in movies and some special shows.
As I mentioned before, my fav character is Grover. In the show, Grover is known for loveable muppet friend and with his friendly voice, he is funny yet likeable by kids. He has another identity which is Super Grover. Of course he is like Superman, trying to help people. But it ends up he is being funny. I have the Super Grover plush toy which I bought in Singapore as my own graduation gift. When I saw it, I knew that I had to have it. LOL.



Now, how well-known Sesame Street is? I think that most of kids around my age would watch Sesame Street while growing up. Or is it? Going back to the conversation I had quoted at the beginning of this post, there are people who don't know Sesame Street. Or maybe they know it but it existed in a different way? So I check on the french version. Guess what?! They have french version of Sesame Street.
In France, it is called '1 rue Sesame'. Why would they put number on the street? Beats me LOL. Can't they just settle with 'Rue Sesame'? Perhaps there is already something existed by that name.
Next the characters.. Lo and behold!!! The essential character that makes Sesame Street, Big Bird does not exist in France!!! How can this be? Instead, the french bird is called 'Toccata'. Seriously? I think Gros Oiseau is not that nice as a name LOL. Grouch is blue instead of green and his name is 'Mordicus'.
Next comes the theme song. Yes you guess it right. It's in french of course :P

So here is 1 rue Sesame theme song with Toccata:


Here is the english song:


However I don't know if there is the difference in the way they teach the kids. Of course in different language, I wonder if the system is different.
I found these 2 great versions that shows even the sounds of animals are different in different languages LOL. watch them. It's fun!!

French version of Cookie Monster (Macaron) - The Horse Whisperer


English version:


Ok I can go on and on..
happy to bring back those memories to all who know Sesame Street, and for who don't, it is never too late to discover this show!

For the ending, I share with you Jason Mraz version of Kermit's song Rainbow Connection. Let's sing it!!


This is the original and look! Kermit is leftie :D

No comments:

Post a Comment